I can’t believe it’s almost time for one of Kansas City’s favorite events: the Plaza Lighting Ceremony! This popular KC tradition started in 1930, and is celebrating its 85th anniversary this Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 27, 2014. The fun takes place in the heart of the Country Club Plaza, at the Main Stage, at Nichols Road & Pennsylvania by Brio Tuscan Grille. (click here for a map of the ceremony)
This year, Royals All-Star Alex Gordon and Royals GM Dayton Moore will be up on stage to flip the switch, joining the ranks of other KC stars, including George Brett, Trent Green, Kate Spade, Paul Rudd, and Jason Sudeikis, who have also had the honor of flipping the switch in years past.
Here’s the schedule of events:
- 5–6pm: Pre-show performances and giveaways from KCP&L and Helzberg Diamonds from the stage
- 6-7pm: KCP&L Plaza Lighting Ceremony, performances by The Mowgli’s, The Snow Globes and Gracie Schram
- 6:54pm: Flip of the Switch by Royals All-Star Alex Gordon & Royals GM Dayton Moore
- 7–8pm: Post-ceremony concert featuring The Mowgli’s
Can’t make it to the festivities? You and your family can:
- Watch the 6-7pm festivities live on KSHB-TV,
- Stream it online at kshb.com, or
- Follow the festivities live at Facebook.com/KCPLPlazaLights or on Twitter @FlipDSwitch
And if you’re feeling really adventurous, you can watch the lights test, which takes place Wednesday, Nov. 26 (the day before Thanksgiving) from 2-6 am. I’ve never experienced this early viewing (my family & I are definitely never going to be able to get up and moving that early!), but I hear it’s become a popular tradition for Kansas Citians to grab a sneak peek of the Plaza Lights.
The KCP&L Plaza Lights shine daily from 5pm to 3am, Thanksgiving through Sunday, January 18, 2015. So whenever you take the kids to see the lights, I hope it’s a magical time for all of you!
Image courtesy of CountryClubPlaza.com