Earth Day is almost here! April 22 to be exact, and it’s a great time to share some fun with the family while teaching your kids how to care for our environment. This coming weekend, there are some fun, family-friendly activities to help you do just that:
Saturday, April 18
- Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead‘s Earth Day celebration includes programs on recycling, composting, gardening and Kansas nature and wildlife. There will be crafts, flower planting, a traditional Native American Ceremony, called Planting of the Three Sisters, a chalk walk, and more!
- Lakeside Nature Center: Join Lakeside Nature Center in Swope Park for its Wildlife in Swope Park Earth Day Celebration. Kids will learn, watch a StoneLion Puppet show (at 11am and 1pm), make fun stuff to take home, and see the center’s wildlife stars. 10am-4pm at 4701 E Gregory Blvd, Kansas City, MO 64132. Go to www.lakesidenaturecenter.org for more information.
- Kids’ Gardening Club at Powell Gardens: Starting Seeds: Now that spring is here, it’s time to plant your garden. Get a head start this year by learning how to start plants indoors plus make a seed-starter kit to take home! Register by April 15. 1-2pm at Powell Gardens, children 7 and under must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Click here for prices and to register.
- Scavenger Hike at Burr Oak Woods Nature Center: What can you find in the forest? Wonders abound when we stop and take a closer look. Join us as we search the forest for interesting and unusual colors, shapes and textures that exist all around us. No registration required; 1-2:30pm; Burr Oak Woods Nature Center, 1401 NW Park Rd, Blue Springs, MO. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Barnyard Babies: Come see the baby animals of all kinds! It’s not specific to Earth Day, but it’s a great way to get outside and learn about other creatures on our planet. Barnyard Babies is a tradition for the National Agricultural Hall of Fame and this year’s event includes hands-on activities, hayrides, mini train rides, crafts, face painting and more! With every adult ticket of $5, one child may come in free. All other children’s (3-16 years) tickets are $4 a piece. Under 2 are free! 10am-2pm, National Agricultural Hall of Fame, 630 N. 126 Street, Bonner Springs, KS
Sunday, April 19, 2015
- Paradise Park’s Celebrate Our Earth Week Kick Off: Learn about our home planet with cool science facts, nature-inspired acorn snacks and some awesome art projects for kids to complete during adventure time. Come enjoy a visit to Paradise Park with your friends and family just because spring has sprung! Runs through April 25 in the Paradise Park Edutainment Center, 1021 NE Colbern Rd. Lee’s Summit, MO 64086.
Wednesday, April 22, 2015
- Powell Gardens: Celebrate Earth Day with FREE admission to Powell Gardens on April 22, 2015! Gather sustainable gardening ideas, get tips on how to choose plants that help the planet’s ecosystem and learn ways to cook fresh from the garden. Kids can make and take an eco-friendly seed planting pot (10am-2pm), and enjoy storytelling time with Mrs. Frizzle from the Magic School Bus (10:30-11am). And there are a limited number of tree seedlings being given away for early arrivals (one per party; limited quantity available)!
However you celebrate our earth, we hope you have a great (and educational) time with the kiddos!