We can’t get enough berries in our house, and my kids were especially happy that this year was (finally!) a good one for strawberry picking. Note: For those of you with younger kids who have shorter attention spans, many of the berry patches offer additional outdoor fun to keep the kids occupied once they lose interest in picking berries.
If strawberries – which are in season right now in our area – aren’t your thing, blueberry and blackberry season is coming soon: Even with all the rain, area berry patches are predicting blueberries will be right on schedule, beginning to come in around mid- to late-June and blackberries will start coming in mid-July.
Here are some Kansas City-area berry picking spots to check out…be sure to add your fave spot in the comments below if it’s not on the list!
- The Berry Patch (just south of Leawood & Martin City) – HUGE crop of blueberries and blackberries, great activities for kids!
- Buckeye Acres (Warrensburg, MO) – strawberries, red raspberries, blackberries, wide variety of other vegetables; produce sold at Warrensburg Farmer’s Market
- Cy & Dee’s Blackberry Farm (Louisburg, KS) – 28615 Rockville Rd., 913-837-2254
- Duncan’s Berry Farm (Smithville, MO) – blueberries also sold at Briarcliff Farmer’s Market, U-Pick blackberries in July
- First Fruits Orchards (Drexel, MO) – strawberries, blueberries, thornless blackberries, and tree fruit including peaches, plums, apples and pears.
- Gieringers Orchard (Edgerton, KS) – strawberries, blackberries, peaches, tomatoes, and sweet corn. Blueberries were planted this year too! Fun play area, including a giant hay stack for kids.
- Lawson Brothers Farm (Baldwin City, KS) – Typically, they have strawberries, raspberries and blackberries, call for recorded message of picking conditions, 785-594-3936
- Schreiman Orchards (Waverly, MO) – 660-493-2477 – berries and peaches, an hour east of KC
- Sibley Orchards & Cider Mill (Sibley, Jackson County, MO) – blackberries, asparagus and rhubarb (and peaches and apples in season)
- Spanish Garden Berry Farm (Platte City, MO) – strawberries, red and black raspberries, blueberries and blackberries; they also grow various melons and are developing their orchard to provide a wide variety of tree fruit, including cherries, apples, peaches, nectarines, plums and apricots
- Wagon Wheel Orchard (Gardner, KS) – no berries here but look for peaches, apples and pears beginning late summer
- Wohletz Farm Fresh (Lawrence, KS) – strawberries, tomatoes, potatoes and onions
For a few more in the outlying areas, check out our Pumpkin Patch/Orchards directory for ideas, or look at these state-by-state lists for Pick-Your-Own Farms and Orchards:
Let us know of other favorite berry patches in the comments section…and happy picking!
Photo courtesy of Gieringers Orchard.