May 10 is National Train Day, and there’s no better place to celebrate than in Kansas City!
To look at, learn about, or create your own trains, pay a visit to…
- LEGOLAND Discovery Center’s new exhibit, Train Station Adventure, which opens May 12! Includes a train-themed play zone and all the LEGO® train pieces and train tracks you need to build and test your own train creations.
- Union Station, for a visit to its Model Railroad Experience and/or Science City‘s KC Rail Experience. Each exhibit gives a different perspective on trains and how they work! To add to the train experience, grab lunch or a snack at Fritz’s Railroad Restaurant at Crown Center to have your food delivered via train. Don’t forget to ask for a conductors hat for the kids!
- The Overland Park Arboretum & Botanical Gardens where they can run and play alongside model trains and even get on board to explore a life-sized engine car.
For a quick train ride, check out…
- The Agricultural Hall of Fame in Bonner Springs has a mini train that takes you around for a quick tour of the grounds.
- The Kansas City Zoo for a ride on the miniature train, where you will get the chance to view some animals along the way!
- Worlds of Fun, for a ride on their railroad, which is a fully functioning replica of the great steam engines from the turn of the century.
For a longer train ride, ride on the…
- Belton Grandview & Kansas City Railroad: Runs south from Belton on a 5 mile, 45 minute round trip. It is an all-volunteer, nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving rail travel and railroading that offers a variety of rides (ice cream social, regular rides, pumpkin patch and Santa rides). Typically, it runs weekends May-September, but no info is listed just yet. Check back for their schedule.
- Kansas City Northern Railroad/Line Creek Route: This miniature train is about as cute as it gets, and the volunteer train engineers love talking to the kids about trains. Running weekends and holidays May-September, weather permitting, the KC Northern Railroad definitely takes you back to yesteryear…for just 75 cents per ride! We love to bring a picnic lunch and make a day of it.
- Midland Railway: This vintage train, originally constructed in 1867, takes you on a 20-mile round trip from Baldwin City to Ottawa Junction, KS. It also features the ever-popular Day Out with Thomas, where Thomas the Tank Engine joins his friends for tons of fun train-themed activities and a train ride. This year’s Day Out with Thomas is June 2-4, and June 9-11, 2017.
- Missouri River Runner Route: This is the real deal, and if you’re up for a weekend vacation, you can hop the Missouri River Runner for a ride to St. Louis. Once you get there, explore downtown St. Louis on its MetroLink rail system to access some of the city’s bigger attractions. No cars needed!
Photo courtesy of LEGOLAND Discovery Center and Midland Railway.