We’re hoping for good weather this Memorial Day weekend, because there are many great, family-friendly, outdoor events coming up this long weekend:
- Matilda The Musical at Starlight Theatre is the story of an extraordinary girl who, armed with a vivid imagination and sharp mind, dares to take a stand and change her own destiny. Based on the beloved novel by Roald Dahl, Matilda’s witty lyrics, powerful new music and enchanting story make this a great show for the entire family. 8pm, May 24-28 at Starlight Theatre.
- Lawrence Busker Festival: If you’re looking for something truly off the beaten path this weekend, take a short drive to Lawrence, KS for the Lawrence Busker Festival. Featuring more than 25 different acts on 5 stages, the festival runs May 27-29. Click here for a schedule of performances.
- Fourth Friday Concert Series: Great local bands, free hot dog dinner and lots of kid fun, including face painting! This month features Moon City Big Band; 6:30-8:30pm at Franklin Park, Roe Ave. & Somerset Drive in Prairie Village, KS; Friday, May 27
- The Adventures of MR. POTATO HEAD® opening day at Crown Center on May 28! Enjoy this exciting hands-on traveling exhibit, which features the much-loved silly character, who becomes an explorer, scientist, and adventurer with a change of his “parts.” In addition to building a variety of essential academic skills, the exhibit encourages children to welcome new experiences with confidence, curiosity and humor, to think about all they can be and do, and to always respect themselves and others. No admission fee; open May 28-Sept. 5
- Learning Tree’s 8th Annual Kids Flea Market: This family friendly, community event gives kids a chance to run their own business for a few hours and adults the opportunity to do a little spring-cleaning in the playroom! Kids can reserve their booth, collect their out-grown and gently used toys, books and games to re-sell and to plan their ‘booth’ space. 10-noon; $10/booth space; Corinth Square, 83rd & Mission Road, Prairie Village, KS; Saturday, May 28
- Spend a fun day at the Zoo May 28 & 29 with Species Spotlight at the KC Zoo: Marsupials, where you’ll learn all about koalas, kangaroos, and more, and a celebration of World Ocean Day; all activities included with Zoo admission.
- Dig for Dinos at Powell Gardens: Join the Jurassic Garden, on exhibit through October 3, for a special fossil digging expedition! 11am-2pm, May 28-29
- Celebration at the Station: Enjoy this annual free concert, presented by the Kansas City Symphony at Union Station at 8pm. Led by conductor Aram Demirjian, the Kansas City Symphony will perform a two-hour concert, along with special guests saxophonist Bobby Watson and vocalist Kevin Mahogany. And, of course, the grand finale includes a stunning display of fireworks and patriotic music! 8pm on May 29
Still looking for additional activities? Visit our Events Calendar for a complete listing of activities throughout the weekend.