It’s REALLY hot outside these days, so it’s getting even tougher to keep the kiddos off the screens. We are still trying to stay focused on the good parts of screen-free time, and the kids are actually enjoying time with each other, friends and most surprising, being creative. One day, they spent 3 hours in the basement concocting crazy artwork together. We still need lots of luck though, and it’s taking some work for sure.
If you need some more ideas to keep the kids occupied, here’s my latest list. Trust me, I’m pulling out all the stops in my effort to break the screen-watching cycle!
- Go to the pool, splash park or a water park. Need a break from the sun? Visit one of KC’s many area indoor pools!
- Visit your local library, or get outside of your neighborhood and check out a new library. My kids love the children’s sections at the KCMO Central Library and Plaza Branch Library
- Check out a local museum, including the Steamboat Arabia Museum, The Money Museum, and the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art, which has several kid-focused activities each month
- Enjoy all that Crown Center has to offer, including the free summer exhibit, Trivial Pursuit®: A 50-State Adventure, The Coterie Theater and hands-on art fun right across the street at Hallmark’s Kaleidoscope. And don’t forget Fritz’s Railroad Restaurant!
- Cook (and gather!) dinner: Check out one of KC’s fabulous Farmers Markets and let the kids explore, choose ingredients, and help make lunch or dinner. Trust me, it’ll make great memories in the kitchen!
- Still on the prowl? Check our Events Calendar, and visit our Parks & Playgrounds pages as well.