Back when I was a kid growing up in Prairie Village, one of our favorite things to do as a family during the holidays was put on our jammies and hop in the car to drive around and see neighborhood light displays (and also get to eat candy canes after bedtime.) Now we do it with our own kids, and as with many things, technology has made some of these displays more awe-inspiring than ever.
However, as many of you have heard, Mike Babick’s holiday display at 79th & Falmouth, a Kansas City tradition spanning 40+ years, is no more. The neighbors and the city have finally had enough. While we can understand their frustration with traffic and hassle, we’re still a little sad about it. Never fear, however, another Prairie Village light enthusiast is stepping up his game this year – see the article at KCTV5.
Still lots of neighborhoods all over the metro are happily lighting up during this holiday season. Many even have music. Here’s a list of places to visit to see some awesome light displays.
Kansas City-Area Christmas Light Displays
- Country Club Plaza, KCMO
- Mayor’s Christmas Tree at Crown Center, KCMO
- Mormon Visitors Center, Independence, MO
- Christmas Card Lane (through Jan. 1, 2012) north of 151st around Ridgeview and Frontier (Mission Ridge subdivision) in Olathe, KS.
- Christmas in the Park (through Dec. 31, 2011. Sun-Thur 5:30-10pm, Fri-Sat 5:30-11pm) at Longview Lake Campground on Raytown Rd. in Lee’s Summit, MO. Over 300,000 lights!!!
- Northern Lights at Zona Rosa (runs throughout the season) at I-29 & Barry Rd. in Kansas City.
- Legends Outlets features a light show, synchronized to concert-quality holiday music. Located at I-70 and I-435 in Kansas City, Kansas.
- Downtown Overland Park, Briarcliff Village (KCMO), Brookside andDowntown Lee’s Summit have light displays.
- “Christmas Place” in the Terrace Place subdivision, 132nd and Antioch, south Overland Park, KS.
- Chicago Street Lights, Blue Springs, MO at Hwy 7 and Walnut. Animated story of Christmas in lights.
- Paulie’s Penguin Playground–Olathe, KS at Indian Creek Parkway and Mur-Len. This is a sight to see–more blow-up decorations than you ever knew existed!
- The Ultimate Tree, south Overland Park, KS – huge flat-panel LED Christmas tree display, synchronized to music. Runs from 5:30pm to 10pm weekdays, 5:30pm to 11:30pm on weekends, through first week of January. 6600 block of 131st Street at Deer Creek Golf Course
- Vince & Associates – 103rd & Metcalf, Overland Park – huge display, coordinated with music! Best to view from the parking lot of Emmanuel Baptist church directly across the street.
- Downtown Kansas City – don’t miss the amazing computer-generated facade of the Downtown Marriott hotel!
- Candy Cane Lane, 79th & Outlook, Prairie Village, KS
- Hale Christmas House, 3719 NE 34th Terrace, KCMO
- Kryger family, (as in Kryger Glass) 13201 Granada, in Leawood.
Know of some we missed? Leave us a comment. Happy Holidays to all.