If your child is anything like my oldest, you’re probably looking for a science camp for this summer! Here is the KC Kids Fun listing of 2013 Kansas City area science and nature camps. Whether your kid is scientifically-inclined or just a nature-lover, there are some exceptional camps available around the metro for. Your first stop might be to check out the offerings of your local parks and rec department and then check out the super camps on our list (and on our General Day and Overnight Camps list).
INVENT * DISCOVER * EXPLORE * ACHIEVE
Coming to local schools this summer, the Camp Invention program is a week-long adventure in creativity that immerses children entering grades one through six in exciting, hands-on learning disguised as fun. This nationally-acclaimed program inspires creativity and inventive thinking. Throughout the week, children work together to solve real-world challenges that prepare them for the 21st century. Whether they are creating the ultimate Duck Chucking Device or learning about games played around the globe, participants learn new approaches to everyday problems! Discounts available – register today! Call 800.968.4332 or visit www.campinvention.org.
Ko Martial Arts (Overland Park, KS)
Join us in our classroom and learn about science in Mad Scientist Camp or discover the secrets of nature in Earth Wonders camp. We also will be offering martial arts, sports, and life skills camps such as Life Armor Camp which will be focusing on self defense in life as well as while using online social media. 16 camps to choose from! Visit us online or call 913-851-2400 for more info.
- Academy of Arts and Science (classes held in Shawnee, KS) offers Robotics camps. Students receive hands-on training in building and programming robots in Robotics I. There is also Advanced Robotics camp.
- Anita B. Gorman Conservation Discovery Center (Kansas City, MO) has offered a Summer Outdoor Skills Camp for kids 10 to 14 in the past. Keeping checking their website or give them a call for more information.
- Bear River Ranch Cub Creek Science Camp (Rolla, MO) has a residential summer camp for boys and girls, ages 7 to 16. The ultimate animal camp!
- Blue Valley Recreation (Overland Park, KS) – Classes are designed to spark imaginations and inspire a desire to learn about life sciences, earth and space. Many have make-and-take projects. Camps include Secret Agent Lab, Outdoor Explorers, NASA, Rockin’ Robots and Moving with Science.
- Ernie Miller Park and Nature Center (Olathe, KS) hosts outdoor discovery camps for children ages 6-12. Hikes, environmental games and nature crafts are centered around a weekly theme. These camps fill up quickly!!
- Johnson County Park and Recreation District offers 39 summer camp programs for ages 3-18. Included are camps focusing on nature, dinosaurs, science, hiking and fishing! Dates, locations and fees vary.
- Kansas Cosmosphere & Space Center Camps (Hutchinson, KS) has space camps for kids in grades 7 thru 10. This is an overnight camp and scholarships are available.
- Kansas City Zoo Summer Camps (Kansas City, MO) offers some really neat week-long science and animal-related day camps for all ages.
- Kansas Starbase (Kansas City, KS) is a really cool camp for kids who have finished 4th, 5th or 6th grades. 4 “Academies” are offered: the Traditional one allows kids to discover and apply principles of aviation and rocketry. The Robotics Academy uses special Lego robotics kits! Kids can even build and launch rockets in Rocketry Academy, or peek into the future at Space Exploration Academy.
- KU Engineering Camps (Lawrence, KS) – KU offers a camp for high schoolers interested in engineering, hosted by the University of Kansas School of Engineering. The camp lets students explore the different engineering disciplines through classes led by KU faculty. The camp costs $400-500 and covers housing, meals and laboratory materials. (A middle school engineering camp will be held at Olathe Northwest HS.)
- Lakeside Nature Center (Kansas City, MO) offers a Summer of Science camp for kids from 6 to 12. Each day ends in the Camp Lake of the Woods pool!
- Exchange City & EarthWorks (Kansas City, MO) – Our CuriosityCamps focus on fun mixed with academics! At Exchange City®, citizen campers, ages 10-14, become business entrepreneurs running a thriving city. At EarthWorks®, scientist campers, ages 8-12, become wildlife biologists exploring the fragile nature of wildlife including fish, reptiles, birds and mammals. Financial assistance available.
- LEARN Science and Math Club – camps include Senior Solutions Robo Camp – May 28- May 31, 2013; Math Blast – June 3- June 7, 2013; Coasters and Contraptions – June 10- June 14, 2013.
- Mad Science KC (various locations) is offering several camps this summer for kids from preschool thru grade 6. They’ll learn about things such as rockets, NASA, earth sciences and robots. And it’ll be super fun!
- Martha Lafite Thompson Nature Sanctuary (Northland) has a fantastic summer program called EGADS (Earth Guardians Adventure Days). There are a variety of offerings including outdoor exploration, games, crafts and songs. There are camps for children from preschool through ninth grade.
- Microsoft Store at Oak Park Mall (Overland Park, KS) offers FREE workshops for children ages 8-13!
- Mr. & Mrs. F.L. Schlagle Library (Kansas City, KS) is an environmental learning center located at Wyandotte County Lake Park. This summer, the Schlagle Library will have a nature day camp for preschoolers, an outdoor discovery day camp for elementary age children, Destination Science camp for middleschoolers and a World of Flight camp also for middleschoolers. The older kids will have the option of spending one overnight at the camp during their session. Check these out – the prices are unbelievably good!
- Outdoor Education Laboratory (south Johnson County, KS) is open to campers from kindergarten thru 6th grade. Kids get down and dirty, spending the day outside in the forest, learning about nature and science in a very hands-on and very fun environment. This camp is EXTREMELY popular – sign up quick!
- Powell Gardens (Kingsville, MO – east of Lee’s Summit) offers an incredible Summer Explorations program. Camps are offered for kids ages 8 to 12.
- Science City (Kansas City, MO) offers summer camps for kids ages 6 to 12. Hands-on activities keep your kids interested in weekly themes related to biology, chemistry, engineering and space. They have great hours for working parents – definitely check this one out.
- UMKC – Kansas City Summer Transportation Institute (Kansas City, MO) is a unique camp for high schoolers focused on various aspects of the transportation industry including career exploration in the transportation sector, skill building, teamwork and college preparation. A great opportunity for your older ones!
- Wildwood Outdoor Education Center (LaCygne, KS) offers 5-day residential camps for ages 8 to 15. Programming includes traditional camp activities, outdoor education, adventures and fantastic self-esteeming building activities. One week is set aside for girls ages 10 to 15 with an emphasis on leadership skills and self-esteem.
- Wonderscope (Shawnee, KS) Wonderscope Children’s Museum of Kansas City previously offered terrific camps–no word on this year.
- YMCA (20 locations in the metro) offers camps for 5-15 year olds and run June – early August. Bonus: before and after-camp care is available, as is financial assistance.