There are so many fun things happening in KC this summer! Be sure to check out our KC Kids Fun Calendar for more activities this weekend and all summer long. Here are just a few highlights to look forward to this weekend…including more fireworks!
Thursday, July 7, 2016
- Mahaffie Farm 19th Century Fireworks-Olathe Civic Band Concert – Enjoy an old-fashioned 19th century Independence Day celebration, complete with cannon fire and fireworks! Bring your picnic, lawn chairs and blankets to enjoy activities on the historic Mahaffie grounds; free admission; festivities begin at 6pm
- Madagascar A Musical Adventure at The Coterie: It’s the musical premiere of the madcap journey from New York’s Central Park Zoo to the beaches of Madagascar for Alex the Lion, Marty the Zebra, Melman the Giraffe, Gloria the hip hip Hippo and hilarious, plotting penguins. Get ready to go wild with King Julien. These crack-a-lackin’ friends are outta the zoo and ready to MOVE IT MOVE IT. For all ages; June 14-August 7
- The Adventures of MR. POTATO HEAD® at Crown Center is an exciting hands-on traveling exhibit, which features the much-loved silly character, who becomes an explorer, scientist, and adventurer with a change of his “parts.” In addition to building a variety of essential academic skills, the exhibit encourages children to welcome new experiences with confidence, curiosity and humor, to think about all they can be and do, and to always respect themselves and others. No admission fee; open May 28-Sept. 5
Friday, July 8, 2016
- Friday Crafternoons at The Learning Tree: We’ll open the downstairs Rainbow Room at our Corinth location from 2-3:30pm for walk-in craft-sessions. Come when you want during the session, pick your project and decide how long you stay! Great for families with different ages and stages. $10 per project. No sign-up necessary. Please call and let us know if you have a group larger than three kiddos so we can plan ahead! For ages 4+
- Hot Summer Days at Overland Park Arboretum: Summer is hot! Keep your temperature down by splashing around at this cool-down activity, with water games, slides and all kinds of water fun! 10am-noon; no pre-registration needed, included with price of Arboretum admission
- UrbanAir JumpeRoo: Looking for some indoor fun? Toddler time at UrbanAir for is just the ticket! 14401 Metcalf Avenue, Overland Park, KS 66223
- Evening Outdoor Expeditions at Ernie Miller Amphitheatre: Bring the family to the Ernie Miller Amphitheater on Friday evenings this summer for entertainment and educational experiences. Nature science abounds as you learn about the topic of the evening…from owls to snakes to engaging stories under the stars. During inclement weather or excessive heat, programs will be held in the Nature Center. Each program is approximately 45-60 minutes and begins at 7 pm.
Saturday, July 9, 2016
- Sprint Family Fun Days at KC Power & Light District: It’s a beach party in the city! Sprint Family Fun Days continues with Bubbles & Beach Balls from 11am-3pm on 14th Street between Main & Walnut Streets in the Power & Light District. Kids can have their fun in the sun on the Bahama Bounce, moonwalks, slides and more! Enjoy hula hoopin’, arts & crafts, face painting and more. Admission to the event is free. Fees apply for premium activities ($5 all-access wristband per child).
- Celebrate Olathe SummerFest: Music, face painting, food, activities and more await at this celebration of community and music! 2pm at Stagecoach Park, 1205 E Kansas City Road, Olathe, KS
- Live at the Legends Summer Concert Series: Bring the whole family to enjoy concerts at the Legends on Saturday evenings in June and July! The concert series lineup features local talent performing popular pop, classic rock and country hits from the ‘70s, ‘80s, ‘90s and today. 5-7pmat Legends Outlets’ Civic Courtyard Fountain, in front of AMC Legends 14 Theatre, at 1843 Village West Parkway, Kansas City, KS 66111. Click here for a listing of bands.
- Comedy Show with Mr. Puppet: Join the Puppetry Arts Institute for this enjoyable tale…the title tells it all. Featuring ventriloquist Bob Abdou. Showtimes are 11am & 2pm at Puppetry Arts Institute, 11025 E. Winner Rd., Independence, MO 64052, unless otherwise indicated. Tickets are $6 per person, and available at the door, but reservations are requested, as seating is limited. For reservations, please call 816-833-9777.
Sunday, July 10, 2016
- Music in the Park: Enjoy a relaxing evening outdoors with free, live musical entertainment each Sunday this summer at Rotary Park at Railroad Lake, 600 NW Vesper, Blue Springs, MO 64015. The summer concert season brings a variety of blues, rock, classics and country favorites that will appeal to the whole family. Concessions available or bring your own picnic; 6-8pm
- Zootastik Learning Fest: Koalas & Kangaroos: Join the Kansas City Zoo on second Saturdays and Sundays to learn about the amazing world of animals. All activities, demonstrations and crafts will take place in the main lobby and are included with Zoo admission.
- Dinosaurs Invade Powell Gardens! Travel back millions of years to explore the lost world of dinosaurs and prehistoric plant life during Jurassic Garden: A Prehistoric Adventure, open May 21-October 3.Encounter incredibly realistic dinosaur replicas, using fossilized bones and other materials, throughout the park. The lifelike dinosaurs include a 32-foot T Rex, 30-foot Hypsibema—Missouri’s state dinosaur, and many more!
- Enchanted Forest at Overland Park Arboretum: This summer, the Arboretum is enchanting! Discover the mystical domains of gnomes, fairies, elves, sprites, trolls, and other garden creatures along a woodland garden trail. July 1-August 15, 2016; free with admission
Images courtesy of Crown Center, Ernie Miller Nature Center, Kansas City Zoo, and Mahaffie Farmstead