Whatever your heritage, St. Patrick’s Day in Kansas City can be a fun event for the whole family – especially with the promise of some beautiful weather in the forecast! Here are a few parades to check out that are good for all ages.
- 10th Annual Emerald Isle Parade “Truly Irish”: Downtown Lee’s Summit brings KC-area residents together the Saturday before St. Patrick’s Day for a great time! Back for a fourth year is the Traditional Irish Breakfast from 8-11am at Mingle, 209 S.E. Main St., and the Bits O’ Gold Coin Hunt for ages 8 and younger at 11am at Howard Station Park on S.E. Main Street. Saturday, March 14, noon-2pm: Route begins at Lee’s Summit High School, picking up on Green Street, where it heads north to Third Street, west on Third Street, then north onto S.E. Main Street.
- 2015 Snake Saturday Parade and Festival: This event, themed “A Little Bit O Blarney,” takes place in the Northland, and offers two days of fun! Beginning Friday evening with the opening of the carnival area and the Annual Charity Cook-off, then continuing on to Saturday with the addition of food vendors, a free children’s area, and children’s stage and the Parade! You can also feel good about attending this event…this Northland tradition has raised more than $1 million in funds for charity over the years. Saturday, March 14, 11am: The parade begins at 14th and Swift, click here for route details.
- Brookside 35th Annual St. Patrick’s Warm-Up Parade: All ages will celebrate the luck of the Irish and the Brookside community at this annual parade, geared toward families. Everyone is Irish on this day in Brookside! Saturday, March 14, 2pm at the Brookside Shopping District (63rd and Wornall Kansas City, MO). For complete route information, click here.
- Shawnee St. Patrick’s Day Parade: The City of Shawnee invites you to Forever, Be Irish at this fun, spirited parade; a variety of activities will take place before and after this parade, including the 27th annual Duck Race, 4:30pm at Herman Laird Park/Shawnee Town. Cost is $5/duck, and one lucky winner could walk away with a $1500 prize! Click here for more information about the Duck Race. Sunday, March 15, 1pm: Goes down Johnson Drive from Monrovia east to Nieman Road.
- The Martin City 28th Annual St. Patrick’s Parade: Known as Irishpalooza: The Biggest Little Fun Parade, this year’s theme is Go Green for Your Team, and all parade entries are encouraged to use recycled materials on their floats. Frank White, former Royals All-Star winner will be the official Grand Marshall, and the day includes a 5K race at 8:30am, followed by a Kids Fun Run at 9:30am (runners get a chicken and waffles breakfast at RC’s!), a Best Dressed Dog Contest at 11:30am, and a Prince & Princess Contest at 12:30pm for kids ages 2-7. Sunday, March 15, 2 pm: The parade typically lasts until 3:30pm, and begins at State Line Point Shopping Center parking lot at Washington St. & 135 St. For more information, go to www.irishpalooza.com.
- 43rd Annual Kansas City St. Patrick’s Day Parade: This year’s parade is themed “Irish Music and Myth,” and for all you Gone Girl fans out there, the parade will be led by author and screenwriter Gillian Flynn. Tuesday, March 17, 11am in Midtown/Westport: Goes down Broadway Boulevard; begins at Linwood/33rd Street and goes south to 43rd Street. We don’t see anything about children’s activities this year, but there has been a children’s section in the past. Go to http://kcirishparade.com/ for parking and other information
Photo courtesy of Lee’s Summit Emerald Isle Parade.