Whew! The holiday whirlwind is over, and now comes the challenge during the cold months of winter: Keeping the kids active and entertained. Here are a some fun, free, family-friendly things we’re looking forward to this winter:
- Kaleidoscope is the place to go for some free creative fun in KC. I love that my kids enjoy the puzzle maker as much as I did! Full of left-over art materials from Hallmark, there’s always something fun to create.
- Fairy Tale Village Exhibit at Crown Center: Beginning Feb. 7 (through May 3) fairy tales come to life as you walk into a world of make-believe. Kids will interact with characters from favorite stories and rhymes, including the Snow Queen in her Ice Palace, giant adventures of “Jack and the Beanstalk,” and Cinderella’s magic carriage.
- The Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art: The building itself is just a fun, uplifting place to go on a dreary winter day. However, the Kemper also offers family-friendly, free Scavenger Saturdays on the third Saturday of the month, and Tots on Tuesdays for 3-5 year olds on the third Tuesday of each month. A great way to expose your kids to modern art. Admission is free at all three of its locations.
- The Money Museum at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City offers a wealth of opportunities (at no cost to you!) to see interactive exhibits, millions of dollars in the region’s cash vault, and a chance to design your own digital currency, complete with a photo of yourself on it!
- The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art: Open Wednesdays – Sundays, the Nelson offers free admission every day. And let’s face it, walking (or running) through the exhibits tires little guys out! The Nelson also offers an incredible (and free!) family-friendly Chinese New Year’s celebration Feb. 13.
- The Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art: Located at Johnson County Community College, the Nerman Museum has tons of unusual and interesting pieces on display that will captivate all ages.
Here’s to a happy winter, full of many fun things to do!
Photo courtesy of The Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art