We are so looking forward to berry season in our house this spring! With this fantastic springtime weather we’re having, it promises to be a good year for berries in the KC area. Strawberries are already popping up (a bit earlier than normal) and are ready to pick at many of the patches below! Blueberries are usually ready to pick around mid-June and blackberries will start coming sometime around in mid-July, but it’s always best to check your favorite berry patch online for their picking report.
Here are some Kansas City-area berry picking spots to check out…be sure to add your fave spot in the comments below if it’s not on the list!
- The Berry Patch (just south of Leawood & Martin City) – HUGE crop of blueberries and blackberries, great activities for kids!
- Buckeye Acres (Warrensburg, MO) – strawberries, red raspberries, blackberries, wide variety of other vegetables; produce sold at Warrensburg Farmer’s Market
- Cy & Dee’s Blackberry Farm (Louisburg, KS) – 28615 Rockville Rd., 913-837-2254
- Duncan’s Berry Farm (Smithville, MO) – blueberries also sold at Briarcliff Farmer’s Market, U-Pick blackberries in July
- First Fruits Orchards (Drexel, MO) – CLOSED – First Fruits Fans, we are sad to say they are not re-opening the orchard this year
- Gieringers Orchard (Edgerton, KS) – strawberries, blackberries, peaches, tomatoes, and sweet corn. Blueberries were planted last year! Fun play area, including a giant hay stack for kids.
- Lawson Brothers Farm (Baldwin City, KS) – Typically, they have strawberries, raspberries and blackberries, call for recorded message of picking conditions, 785-594-3936
- Schreiman Orchards (Waverly, MO) – 660-493-2477 – berries and peaches, an hour east of KC
- Sibley Orchards & Cider Mill (Sibley, Jackson County, MO) – blackberries, asparagus and rhubarb (and peaches and apples in season). They also have asparagus and other vegetables.
- Spanish Garden Berry Farm (Platte City, MO) – strawberries, red and black raspberries, blueberries and blackberries; they also grow vegetables and various melons and are developing their orchard to provide a wide variety of tree fruit, including cherries, apples, peaches, nectarines, plums and apricots
- Wagon Wheel Orchard (Gardner, KS) – no berries here but look for peaches, apples and pears beginning late summer
- Wohletz Farm Fresh (Lawrence, KS) – strawberries, tomatoes, potatoes and onions
For a few more in the outlying areas, check out our Pumpkin Patch/Orchards directory for ideas, or look at these state-by-state lists for Pick-Your-Own Farms and Orchards:
Let us know of other favorite berry patches in the comments section…and happy picking!
Photo courtesy of Wohletz Farm Fresh.