Spring seems to be well upon us, and the Kansas City Zoo has tons of fun outdoor and indoor activities coming up for KC families to enjoy! Our family of four likes to sign up for the Friends of the Zoo membership each year, since we get unlimited access and rides throughout the year, plus we don’t have to wait in line to buy tickets. If you go a few times each year, it’s a definite money saver, especially if your kids like to ride the train and carousel as often as mine do. Whether or not you like to buy individual tickets or FOTZ memberships, remember that Clay and Jackson County residents still get great discounts on admission fees either way!
Here are some fun things coming up this month at the Zoo:
- Zootastik Learning Fest – Very Important Pollinators: Learn how pollinators are important to us and essential for many of the foods we love to eat! Zootastik Learning Fest includes great kid crafts and planting information for adults. Better yet, all activities are in the lobby (in case of cold weather) and are included in Zoo admission, 10am-2pm, March 11 & 12.
- SuperHero Weekend at the Zoo: Meet your favorite SuperHero from 10am-3pm! Bring a camera and have your picture taken with Spider-Man and Captain America on Saturday and Thor and Iron Man on Sunday. FOTZ members will have an exclusive super hero meet and greet from 8:30-9:30am on both days. March 18 & 19
- Species Spotlight: Camels & Llamas: Do camels really store water in their humps? How many toenails does a llama have? Find out the answers to these questions and many more! 10am-2pm, March 25 & 26
- Milo & Ruw’s Birthday Party: Join the Kansas City Zoo at the chimpanzee exhibit for a special birthday party! Chimpanzee Milo is turning 2 and little Ruw is celebrating her first birthday. Sing happy birthday to both of them during the Zookeeper chat at 1pm March 25, 26 & 27. The chimpanzee troop will enjoy birthday enrichment items while you enjoy birthday cupcakes!
- Royals Day at the Zoo: Celebrate the KC Royals home opening weekend with the animals! Tigers, lions, elephants, penguins, orangutans and many more will show their support for the Boys in Blue, and you can too, by taking a picture with Sluggerrr from 10am-noon and 1-3pm. Plus, wear your KC Royals gear and save $1 off the price of admission. April 1
There’s also Spring Break Camps, offered March 15-17 and March 22-24, where campers ages 5-12 can learn about family ties, and their importance to animals, Keeper for a Day experiences (for ages 7-18), ongoing Zookeeper Chats, and overnight experiences for your little animal lover. Keep checking KC Kids Fun’s Event Calendar for an ongoing listing of fun Zoo activities each month!
Images courtesy of the Kansas City Zoo.