There’s no shortage of art and creativity in the great Kansas City area. So if your little ones prefer summer camp fun that involves using their creativity, we’ve found plenty to choose from. Here’s a roundup of the great Art Camps in Kansas City this summer!
Get started by checking out your local parks and recreation catalog and then check these out!
(If you operate a Kansas City area day or overnight camp which is not listed here or in one of other other camp listings, please let us know! And if you’re interested in a Sponsored Listing, email us for information.
- Blue Valley Recreation (Overland Park, KS) Art Camps include a wide variety of fun art activities for the kiddos!
- CartoonWorks (Kansas City, MO) Ron Wheeler’s Cartoon Camp teaches the basics of cartooning, sculpting with clay and creating a comic strip. Audrey’s Art Camp includes working with clay, etching and crafting paper.
- Community School of the Arts/KCYA Kansas City Young Audiences (Kansas City, MO) has many dance and theater options for 5-15 year olds – but look closely and you’ll find a few very interesting visual arts offerings too!
- Johnson County Park and Recreation District offers 30+ summer camp programs for ages 3-18. Included are camps themed around arts and crafts, history, art and music. Dates, locations and fees vary.
- Mattie Rhodes Art Center (Kansas City, MO) has awesome art exploration classes and programs for kids of all ages, pre-school through teenagers. Campers ages 5-12 will experience five different mediums – ceramics, textiles, cultural art, mixed media and painting/printmaking.
- The Culture House (Olathe, KS) has four “schools”: Theater, Dance, Music and Visual Art– each with summer camps!
- The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art (Kansas City, MO) has a mix of hands-on and art appreciation classes for a variety of ages. These programs sell out FAST!
- Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art (Overland Park, KS) Fun and educational hands-on art classes offered throughout the year for children ages 5-11. See website for specifics.
- Paint Glaze and Fire (Overland Park, KS) hosts Camp ARTrageous and other fun ceramics classes throughout the summer.
- Red Star Studios Summer Art Camp (KCMO) offers incredible youth and adult experiences throughout the year. Different themes and mediums will be explored each session. They also offer parent/child classes throughout the year for added bonding time and fun!
- Silver Tree Visual Arts (Lenexa, KS) They’ve taken their passion for art and created sessions and classes where kids can have fun, collaborate, explore different cultures in art and express feelings. Half-day offerings with different themes each week. All classes held at The Culture House Academy of Performing Arts.
- Wolf Creek Art Studio (south Overland Park, KS) offers half-day, week-long Art Camps for kids ages 6-16. A different form of art will be explored each day and includes fun outdoor activities, and animals to boot!
- YMCA (20 locations in the metro) offers camps for 5-11 year olds and run June – early August. Arts and Crafts-themed camp is available in addition to drama, sports and nature! Bonus: before and after-camp care is available, as is financial assistance.
We’ll add to this list as we discover new camps and classes for this summer! In the meantime, take a look at the ones listed here, the ones offered by your parks and rec department and even the ones put on inside your favorite chain craft store (like Michael’s or JoAnn – they’ve always got a full calendar of classes).