It’s that time of year again! Time to bundle the kids up, buckles them into the car and start driving around to look at Kansas City’s Christmas light displays!
The list of great Kansas City-area lighting ceremonies and light displays seems to grow larger each year. Many of the lighting ceremonies took place last weekend or earlier this week, but there are still some good ones to take in. Including the biggest Thanksgiving night party of the year, the Plaza Lighting Ceremony!
Kansas City Lighting Ceremonies
11/27 – Christmas Lighting Festivities at Mormon Visitors Center, Independence, MO – 6pm – Thousands of twinkling lights and a larger than life Nativity cutout display. Live music and entertainment.
11/29 – Mayor’s Christmas Tree Lighting, Belton, MO, 5:30pm. Along with Santa, food and more!
12/2 – Mayor’s Christmas Tree Lighting: Grandview, MO, 6:45pm. Santa and live music too!
12/3 – Mayor’s Tree Lighting – Mission, KS, 5pm. Hot chocolate, s’mores, caroling, popcorn and lots more fun!
12/3 – Christmas on the River in Parkville, 5:30pm. Live Music and Dancing, Santa and reindeer, fireworks, shopping and a TON of fun. (Free shuttles available from Park Hill South High School and South Platte County Community Center YMCA.)
12/3 – Holiday Lighting Ceremony – Raytown, MO, 6pm.
12/3 – Old Town Lenexa Lighting Ceremony, 6:30pm. Santa and Mrs. Claus arrive, entertainment and refreshments in the Lenexa Community Center after the lighting!
12/4 – Christmas Around Town and Mayor’s Tree Lighting – Shawnee, KS, 4:30pm. Carolers, arts & crafts, Santa. Tree will be lit at 5:15pm with event to continue until 7:30pm at Shawnee Town.
12/4 – Mayor’s Christmas Tree Lighting – Merriam, KS, 5pm. Tree lighting, music and Santa!
12/7 – Mayor’s Christmas Tree Lighting – Blue Springs, MO, 7:30pm. Entertainment, refreshments, Santa and more!
After the switches are flipped, there are a TON of Christmas light displays – some commercial, some residential – that you and the kids won’t want to miss! (If we missed your favorite display, let us know in the comments and we’ll add it to the list.)
Kansas City-Area Christmas Light Displays
- Christmas Card Lane (through Jan. 1, 2011) north of 151st around Ridgeview and Frontier (Mission Ridge subdivision) in Olathe, KS.
- Christmas in the Park (through Dec. 31, 2010. Sun-Thur 5:30-10pm, Fri-Sat 5:30-11pm) at Longview Lake Campground on Raytown Rd. in Lee’s Summit, MO. Over 300,000 lights!!!
- Country Club Plaza
- Northern Lights at Zona Rosa (runs throughout the season) at I-29 & Barry Rd. in Kansas City.
- Legends Outlets features a light show, synchronized to concert-quality holiday music. Located at I-70 and I-435 in Kansas City, Kansas.
- Downtown Overland Park, Briarcliff Village (KCMO), Old Town Lenexa, Brookside and Downtown Lee’s Summit have light displays.
- The Mayor’s Christmas Tree at Crown Center – at 100 feet tall, it’s one of the nation’s largest!
- “Christmas Place” in the Terrace Place subdivision, 132nd and Antioch, south Overland Park, KS.
- 75th Street and Falmouth, Prairie Village, KS. This is a completely over-the-top decorated home!! You must see the Babick house!
- Chicago Street Lights, Blue Springs, MO at Hwy 7 and Walnut. Animated story of Christmas in lights.
- Paulie’s Penguin Playground–Olathe, KS at Indian Creek Parkway and Mur-Len. This is a sight to see–more blow-up decorations than you ever knew existed!
- The Ultimate Tree, south Overland Park, KS – huge flat-panel LED Christmas tree display, synchronized to music. Runs from 5:30pm to 10pm weekdays, 5:30pm to 11:30pm on weekends, through first week of January. 6600 block of 131st Street at Deer Creek Golf Course
- Vince & Associates – 103rd & Metcalf, Overland Park – huge display, coordinated with music!
- Downtown Kansas City – don’t miss the amazing computer-generated facade of the Downtown Marriott hotel!
- Candy Cane Lane, 79th & Outlook, Prairie Village, KS
For a great list of Johnson County, KS residential displays, don’t miss Keith’s list at KansasTravel.org (and convenient driving maps) which even includes some photos!